Tuesday, September 6, 2011
Garden of Forking Paths
As I was reading Garden of Forking Paths by Jorge Luis Borges I found it to be confusing and random as to why this reading was assigned. As I continued through the work I discovered that the person I was reading about was some sort of spy or agent with information and was trying to escape the capture of another man. Through series of events to get him there, the character ends up at a garden/labyrinth and is led to a book. Told to be written by his ancestors he is told that this book in infinite. He tries to figure out on his own how a book can be infinite and cannot come up with the correct response. He is guided to find out that what makes this book infinite is a riddle. Different paths taken in the book provide different outcomes. After finishing the reading I was unsure still how this was related to class in any way. After looking it up on the internet I finally realized that the book written can take you one way then another, just like the internet. If you read the book one way you can be shown beauty, if read another, horror. If you click on a hyperlink it can take you to a website about education, if you click on another it can take you to a website about world destruction. This The Garden of Forking paths represents the choices we have and make every day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment